This is the e-mail bulletin sent out from time to time to all juniorchess.ca subscribers. If you missed some of them, read below.
Content (to subscribe, send e-mail to juniorchess.ca with subject "subscribe"
|April 28, 2008|| 1. More than 70 players joined this 2-day event. The BCYCC 2008 Champions of each age group and photos can be found here:
If you have photos for the event in U8 boys and U8, U10, U12 girls groups and want them to be published, send the picture (in jpg format) to this account before midnight Thursday (May 1) and they will be added to existing album or new album made (no garranty that all photos will be used).
2. National Challenge, Team BC is ready. You may want to bookmark this page to follow BC's results:
3. Active tournament this Saturday:
A good practice before the National Challenge (same time control).
|April 6, 2008||
1. BC's junior chess web site (http://juniorchess.ca) is going into the 4th year (possibly the last year).
|Mar. 23, 2008||
1. Victoria Chess Festival: Grand Pacific Scholastic results posted. Iain Ang, Yiming Han and Dylan Parker won their grade groups: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/news.html Grand Pacific Open: after Round 3, 6 players tied for first with 3.0. Standings and pairings: http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/2008+Victoria+Chess+Festival 2. BC Chess Youth Championship (April 26-27): this is a pre-registration only event. Online registration open now: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/registration.html 3. Atatürk International Women Masters Chess Tournament: 14 years old WGM Yifang Hou won with 7.0/9.0, followed by WGM Pia Cramling (6.0/9.0): http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4526
|Feb. 21, 2008||
1. Grandmaster Simul for Juniors (March 15)
If you don't know these two famous grandmasters and what the simul is, all updated information and a sign up form on this page. Reserve your seats today:
|Feb. 11, 2008||
1. Pre-registration Deadline: For Vancouver Regional (Feb. 16) and Fraser Valley Regional (Feb. 17) the pre-registration will be closed at midnight, Feb. 14 (Thursday). Please note this is a pre-registration only event. There is NO on-site registration. Registered player list for Vancouver regional has been posted. All information can be found here: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/events.html It is very important for you to let anyone know the pre-registration requirement. You will NOT play if you do not pre-register. Everyone needs to check in before 9:30 am on game day. Register online now: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/registration.html 2. February Active (Feb. 9, 2008) IM Vicente Lee (Surrey) won the section A with 4.0/5.0, followed by Jame Chan (3.5). Yifei and Yiming Han (3.0) shared U1950 prize. Janak Awatramani (Vancouver) won section B with 4.5/5.0. Next Active Event March 9 (Sunday). Contract TD Luc Poitras (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information. Please bring your own chess clocks! 3. Washington State Chess Championship. After 4 round, GM Serper leads with 4.0: http://nwchess.com/articles/events/2008/WAChamp.htm 4. Grand Pacific Scholastic Player List: http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/Pre+registered+players+(Scholastic) and registration form: http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/2008+Victoria+Chess+Festival
|Feb. 4, 2008||
1. Vancouver Elementary Team Tournament: St. George's school won Division A and Division B. Details and photos: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/news.html BC School Team Championship on May 10th. Get your school team ready! 2. BC players at International Chess Jam (Ferndale, Washington) Alex Tsang (4.0/5.0), Tanraj Sohal and Jonah Lee (both 5.0/5.0)won trophies: http://whsca.org/ChessJam.html 3. Upcoming events: February Active this Saturday (unrated open event) and Vancouver/Fraser Valley Regional Feb. 16/17. http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/events.html 4. Player Rating lists updated: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/players.html (renew your CFC membership so you will be on the list). 5. NWSRS Player Database Updated with 13,246 players: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/search/index3.html 6. Washington Championship: top players in their own words: http://www.nwchess.com/articles/events/2008/WAChamp_blurbs.htm
|Jan. 26, 2008||
1. K-12 Open at Sprott-Shaw this Sunday: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/K-12OpenJan2008.html 2. 2008 Vancouver Regional and Fraser Valley Regional are pre-registration only events, sign up now: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/events.html 3. GM Suttles Book Launch and Simul: Details and Sign up Form: http://www.suttlesbook.com/ 4. Grand Pacific Open: 40 players already signed up, send your cheque before Jan. 31st for reduced entry fee: http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/2008+Victoria+Chess+Festival 5. ChessBase.com article: Bobby Fischer's Final Weeks (and reader comments): http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4410
|Jan. 17, 2008||
1. Vancouver January Open with 33 players, results, online games and a video clip: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/news.html 2. January Junior Open this Sunday: Details: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/Junior_Open_Notice_07.html Please register online: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/event-reg.html 3. More chess teachers on this page: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/teachers.html 4. A strong Washington Championship Line UP: Championship starts Feb. 9-10, then Feb. 16-18 (in the list below "rating" means qualified by rating, "seed" means winning qualifying events): IM Georgi Orlov (rating) 2573 FM Slava Mikhailuk (rating) 2435 FM John Readey (rating) 2325 Nat Koons (seed) 2315 Ignacio Perez (seed) 2281 David Roper (rating) 2279 Michael Lee (rating) 2277 (junior) Harley G (seed) 2220 Josh Sinanan (seed) 2178 Alex Guo (seed) 1991 (junior)
|Jan. 9, 2008||
1. Stephen Wright, Canada's new FIDE Arbiter, is organizing an open tournament at Vancouver Bridge Centre, starting this Friday! About 20 players (10 juniors!) have already signed up, including FM Bindi Cheng. If you enjoy the challenge, don't miss this first event of the year. First round 6 pm this Friday! Details here (please renew your CFC membership if you haven't done so): http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/events.html 2. BCCF Bulletin #135: 2007 Chess in BC: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/news.html 3. Top 100 most visited web pages on juniorchess.ca in the last 24 months (2006-2007) and thanks to all of you for spreading the words: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/06_07_stats.html 4. More chess teachers are available: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/teachers.html
|Jan. 3, 2008||
1. Five BC players and many more Washington players played in the annual North American Open in Las Vegas (Dec. 26-29). The event has been rated:
|Dec. 24, 2007|| 1. The Globe and Mail article by Jonathan Berry: WYCC 2007, Janak Awatramani's last round game analyzed:
and all WYCC 2007 games online here:
2. NWSRS Rating database updated (12,417 players now):
3. CFC Executive Director change:
David Gorden stepped down and Bob Gillanders is the new Executive Director. CFC rating will be updated weekly (every Wednesday).
4. Women's super tournament in Turkey: all 10 spots have been filled. Thirteen years old WGM Yifan Hou is No. 4 on the list (FIDE 2502)::
GM Cramling (Sweden) and IM Krush (USA) have visited Vancouver in recent years.
|Dec. 17, 2007|| Local Level:
1. BC juniors won first place trophies with perfect score.
During Skagit Chess Fest, Sedro Woolley, Washington, December 15, 2007, Tanraj Sohal and Alexandra Botez won first place in Grade 5-8 and 9-12 sections with 5.0/5.0:
See final standings: http://whsca.org/Skagit.html
2. Player ratings updated based on CFC rating update of December 14, 2007:
3. Details of Elementary Team Tournament, organized by Luc Poitras, available here:
Nikolay Noritsyn was chosen by chess journalists in Canada as "chess player of the year".
BC's Alexandra Botez third on the list with 6 points. (The points are given by the journalists.)
Nikolay Noritsyn (Richmond Hill, ON) 21
Alexander Ugge (Keswick, ON) 8
Alexandra Botez (Port Moody, BC) 6
Wayne Hynes (Oshawa, ON) 5
Thomas Roussel-Roozmon (Laval, QC) 4
Jean Hébert (Montreal, QC) 3
Kevin Spraggett (Portugal) 3
Natalia Khoudgarian (Toronto, ON) 1
Tomas Krnan (Burlington, ON) 1
US GM Gata Kamsky has won the FIDE World Cup. He will be playing former FIDE world champion Veselin Topalov. The winner of that match then gets to play for the world championship title against the winner of the match Anand vs Kramnik, scheduled for October 2008. The match Kamsky vs Topalov is expected to take place after the Anand-Kramnik world championship.
|Dec. 13, 2007||
1. St. George's Junior Open Results: Thanks to Luc Poitras and St. George's School, 26 players joined this 4-section (by grade) event: http://wcjc.blogspot.com/2007/11/junior-chess-tournament-at-st-georges.html 2. Fritz 11 now available from local supplier ChessFirst.com, linked here: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/news.html 3. Due to CFC rating errors, this player rating page has not been updated. Dec. 19 is the next CFC update. To be on the player list, you need to be CFC members and played 25 regular rated games. Many juniors have CFC ratings, but they are not CFC members and will not be on the list as the list is generated from CFC rating page. More here: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/players.html After January 1, 2008, all players on the list will be moved up (e.g. U10 players may be only on U18 BC list, as they may be no longer U10). 4. From Sirawan-Chess organizer: You're invited to FM Jack Yoos' Seirawan chess Simultaneous this Sunday, December 16 starting at 1:00 PM at the Vancouver Chess Centre, 201 - 1050 Kingsway, Vancouver (directions can be found on Google Maps). Jack is a former BC Champion as well as a frequent Canadian Chess Olympic team member and is rated 2367 FIDE, 2417 CFC. He is attempting to better GM Yasser Seirawan's result of 8-2-2 against under 2200 opposition which he failed to do last time. Video clips and photos of GM Yasser Seirawan's S-chess Simultaneous held on March 31 are posted at: http://www.chessmastery.com/seirawan-simul.html
|Dec. 8, 2007||
1. BCCF Bulletin #133 Stephen Wright has put a lot of effort into this new issue: a short report on BC players at the World Youth Chess Championship (Antalya, Turkey) and San Antonio 1972 (35 years ago) with photos, games and many web links: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/bulletin133.html 2. In addition to 3 BC juniors at Washington Thanksgiving Scholastic, seven BC players played in Washington Class Championship. The results can be found here (six sections): http://www.uschess.org/msa/XtblMain.php?200711255321.0-10508835 3. More players needed for 2007 BC Correspondents Chess Championship. Details here: http://chessfirst.com/Text/1162195919154-6558/pC/1137304483984-3924/chess-tournaments All players with BC residence are welcome to join. Contact Vas for details 4. Grand Pacific Open (Victoria, BC, March 21-24, 2008) Flier in Chinese available (flier in French is being prepared): http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/GPO2008_cn.html Current player list: http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/List+of+Registered+Players You need to make you hotel reservation ASAP if you plan to play: http://victoriachessclub.pbwiki.com/2008+Victoria+Chess+Festival 5. Turkish Bank (the major sponsor for WYCC2007) and Turkish Chess Federation is hosting "International Women Master Chess Tournament" in Istanbul, Turkey. This article provides details of the world strongest female players (25 of them): http://chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4306
|Dec. 4, 2007||
1. WYCC photo album available, you can spot BC juniors at the competition:
1.FM Bindi Cheng (2349) 1-0 IM Eric Tangborn (2455)
|Sept. 7, 2007||
1. Seven juniors won cash prizes at Langley Labour Day Open (thanks to Andrei Botez for the information).
|Sept. 11, 2007||1. Next event: BC Girls Open Championship on Sept. 29
Last all girls event was two years ago! Please inform all girls who play chess and register online ASAP:
2. BC top junior player list has been updated with new CFC ratings. Bindi Cheng leads the list with a CFC rating 2349. Top female player Alexandra Botez 1839:
3. Recent junior chess news and BCCF Bulletin by Stephen Wright:
4. New chess clubs starting up:
Silver Knight Chess Club
New location and web site: http://silverknightschessclub.blogspot.com/
Chilliwack Chess Club
Thursday evening 6-8 pm, Yarrow Community Hall, 4670 Community Street. All level players welcome. Organizer and coach Ian Mackay (FIDE chess master, former British Junior Champion): e-mail email@example.com
Mission Chess Club
Every Saturday at the Mission City Library, Mission, B.C. from 1:30PM to 3:30PM. Contact Daniel firstname.lastname@example.org
|Sept. 22, 2007|| 1. The all girls event next Saturday. Details updated:
Please note the correct tournament site address:
Sprott Shaw College
#209 – 4250 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC
Online registration: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/event-reg.html
2. New location for Gold Knight Junior Chess Club
The Golden Knights starting a Surrey chapter. They meet Wednesday nights 6:30 to 8:00 at Sprott Shaw College, 9801 King George Highway.
That’s at the end of the skytrain, close to Surrey Center mall. Contact Ken at ChessBC@shaw.ca for details.
3. In US Chess League, our neighbor in the south Seattle Sluggers won a convincing victory against last year's champion San Francisco Mechanics (3-1).
GM Georgry Serper, IM Georgi Orlov, FM John Ready and Josh Sinanan played for the team last Wednesday. Some analysis here:
GM Pascal Charbonneau won the game of the week: http://www.uschessleague.com/
4. World Chess Championship in Mexico, GM Viswanathan Anand is in the lead with 5.5/8.0 after 8 rounds:
|Sept. 27, 2007|| 1. After CFC rating updates yesterday, BC junior player U18
list and Canadian junior player U10 list updated:
http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/players.html (Note: if your CFC membership expired, you are no longer showing up on the list, which is generated from this page:
2. Thanks to Lynn Stringer, Langley Labour Day Open photos and games are online:
3. Next event: BC Girls Open Championship this Saturday. Please inform all the girl players who do not receive this e-mail:
Two players from Washington have signed up.
4. Event page updated with details of Washington Thanksgiving Scholastic (K-12) on November 23, 2007:
5. Recent BC junior news and BCCF Bulletin #128 by Stephen Wright:
6. UBC Chess Club first meeting tomorrow at 3:30 pm, SUB 215, UBC. Everyone is welcome and annual membership $5.
|Sept. 29, 2007||
1. Alexandra Botez, Leanne Hwa (Washington) and Leah Lifton won Open/U13, U11 and U9 section respectively in today's all girls event:
| Oct. 6, 2007
|| 1. Thanks to Andrei Botez for updating results of
North American Youth
Chess Championship. Six Canadian players are currently playing in the
tournament in Mexico, five of them are from BC. After 5 rounds: U8 Boys
Jonah Lee 3.0, U10B Jacob Jensen 4.0, U12B Tanraj Sohal 4.0, U12 Girls
Alexandra Botez 5.0 (perfect score and leading the group), U16B Stefan
Trandafir 2.5 and Justin MacDonald (Ontario) 2.5. Details here: http://www.aguascalienteschess2007.com/results.html
Last two rounds will be played tomorrow.
2. Next junior event: Sprott-Shaw Junior Open next Saturday (Oct. 13). Details and online registration:
http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/events.html (please register online to avoid lineup).
3. US Chess League last week: New York- Seattle: 3-1
|Oct. 16, 2007||
1. Sprott-Shaw October Junior Open results posted. Congratulations to Leanne Hwa (beginner section), Jeff De Guzman (Intermediate), Jacob Jensen (advanced) and Tanraj Sohal (open) for winning their sections last Saturday:
| Oct. 21, 2007
1. Recent BC Chess News:
|Oct. 29, 2007||
1. BC Junior Championship Qualifier coming Saturday (Nov. 3, 2007) http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/events.html Please register online if you have not done so: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/event-reg.html 2. Since the announcement of the Grand Pacific Open and Victoria Chess Festival last week, many players have signed up. More details (a new player list and last year's results) linked below: http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/news.html
|Nov. 2, 2007||
1. Sprott-Shaw Junior Open tomorrow (Sat. Nov. 3, 2007)
The Beginner’s and Intermediate Sections with trophies and prizes as usual.
2. chess teacher available:
3. GM Varuzhan Arkobian Simul in December at Chess4Life Centre, Bellevue, Washington:
4. NWSRS database updated (with USCF rating synchronization on Oct. 19, 2007):
|Nov. 7, 2007|| 1. Sprott-Shaw November Junior Open
Thanks to the organizers, TDs and particularly parent volunteers Wolfram Herdin and Gord Passey, who made this event a success.
Congratulations to Jakab Tardos, who won the qualifier and will play in the Championship section of BC Junior Championship.
The standings can be found here:
2. Recent news (Island Junior Open #3, etc):
3. BC Junior Championship this Saturday:
Please register online ASAP:
A pre-registered player list will be posted tonight at the above link.
All players MUST CHECK IN before 9:30 am or receive a 0 point bye for the first round (starting 10 am sharp!)
Please contact Ken at 604 728-7491 in case of emergency.
4. Seattle chess team Sluggers placed Number 4 in western division. Only top 3 teams will play on:
|Nov. 13, 2007|| 1. BC Junior Championship:
Bindi Cheng won the championship with a perfect score. Jacob Jensen and Dylan Parker tied for first in the Reserves. Final standings and photos here:
2. Victoria Chess Festival: Details of Grand Pacific Scholastic available:
3. Event page updated and Dec. 2 Junior Open online registration ready:
4. FM Bindi Cheng UBC Simul a success, read the news here (photos and one viewable game):
5. BC Junior Player Information updated and congratulations to Jingzhou (Peter) Lai, grade 5, for reaching 1600+ :
|Nov. 25, 2007|| 1. World Youth Chess Championship in Antalya, Turkey:
After 8 rounds, BC juniors Janak Awatramani (U8 Boys) 5.5/8.0, John Doknjas 4.0 , Jingzhou (Peter) Lai (U10 Boys) 3.5 and Donovan Zhao 3.0. Use links on this page to track progress of all 25 Canadian players (3 more rounds):
http://www.bjdy.com/juniorchess/wycc_list.html and official web site: http://wycc2007.tsf.org.tr/
2. BCCF Bulletin #132 by Stephen Wright: Bindi Cheng UBC Simul and BC Junior Championship:
3. Next junior event in lower mainland: Sprott-Shaw December Junior Open Sunday December 2nd, register online
4. Grand Pacific Scholastic (all K-12 players are welcome) is added to 2008 Victoria Chess Festival:
Space is limited, so please register ASAP.
Current player list for Grand Pacific Open:
|Dec. 1, 2007|| 1. BC players at Washington Thanksgiving Scholastic:
Jonah Lee won the K-3 section, Mathew Herdin and Jacob Jensen finished on top of the 4-6 section
See NWSRS Rating report http://whsca.org/Thanksgiving.html
The tournament has also been rated by USCF:
2. The World Youth Chess Championship:
Summary of Canadian player performance:
and 7466 games are online:
3. Event page updated and December Sprott-Shaw Junior Open tomorrow: